Monday, December 18, 2006

Passion and Compassion

‘If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.’ - Antoine de Saint Exupery

We can't 'manage' the Great Commission. We can't franchise it through the latest ministry fad. Instead we must have a passion for God and a vision for his glory that leads us to guide others in finding and following Christ. It's a vision for a kingdom that comes from outside us, but lies within us. It's a kingdom of light that conquers darkness. It's a vision that sees the glory of Light, but also feels the dispair of darkness. Our lives and ministries are then fueled by a passion for God and compassion for the lost. The best way I've found to cultivate the passion and compassion is to take a few minutes each day to pray, meditate on scripture, and bring my life back under the reign of God. And then I go out to be with my friends, coworkers, and family with spiritual eyes awake to what God is doing and wants to do in their lives. I don't think it needs to be much more complicated than that ...

3 comments:

Jon Swanson said...

I love this, Rick. the passion and compassion so look to a positive ministry of reconciliation rather than trying to trap people in sin. Thank you.

Rick Dugan said...

Well put, Jon. I guess I believe that following Jesus is better than not following him, and I believe in making disciples because by doing so I'm obeying Jesus, but also because as far as I can tell it is what makes the greatest difference in people's lives.

I'm not called to be a member of the 'holiness police' trying to defend an abstract concept of morality. It's also not my job to figure out who's going to heaven and who's going to hell. Rather, my responsibility is to go out into the world announcing the Good News, encouraging and facilitating Christian community, and teaching to people to obey everything that Christ commanded (Matthew 28:19-20).

BTW, my hard drive crashed recently and I lost all my 'favorites.' Do you mind giving me your blog address again?

Rick

Jon Swanson said...

http://levite.wordpress.com

Thanks for asking!